Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Chapter 11 : Our farewell

"It must be the last time we see each other, little girl." , I begged.
"For both our sakes. Perhaps even more for mine, than yours."

An incessant rain fell outside.
February had come, cold as ever, bringing with it not one sign of an eagerly awaited and desired Spring.
The sun tried to break through the clouds that hung heavy and grey in the skies, but to no avail.
The falling rain seemed to soak our bones, even our very soul.
"No", she replied, "it won't be the last time.”
"No", she repeated.

"It must be. It must be. You know how I feel for you... even after all this time. And it's so hard, being with you. Because I will always want something you won't be able to give me."
"Jon...", she said softly, "it doesn't have to be this way. Listen to me, please, just listen, ok? I like you, you know I do -- as a friend."
"And I am sorry that o can't like you in another way, but who knows, one day maybe..."

By then I couldn't help the tears from flowing freely, but they fell unnoticed, for they mingled with the rain that flowed from my hair,
I cried for you, in front of you, and you never knew it.

"A fine hope you give me," I said without the smallest trace of enthusiasm in my voice.
"Who knows... one day maybe..."
"Words like those, or 'we should just be friends', or 'maybe under other circumstances' are sharpened knifes that tear at your heart, rips it to shreds, and leaves you empty inside."
"Do you see now? Do you understand? Why this has to be the last time?"
"This", I pursued, "is the nature of things. Things fall apart. It's scientific. It's entropy. And everything ends. Especially what never even began."

No tears fell. I fear that is a river that has run its course.
"It doesn't have to be sad. It doesn't have to be filled with joy. It just is."
"And this, however much it hurts, is for the best."

"So this is goodbye", you said to me, and this time, for the first time, you were the one who cried.

"I'll sing it one more time for you
then we really have to go.
You've been the only thing that's right
in all I've done."

Snow Patrol, Run

No comments: